Oral and Poster Abstracts
The top 50 scoring abstracts will be published in either the Journal of Emergency Medicine or Western Journal of Emergency Medicine.
All abstract submissions are now closed.
Only abstracts that have been submitted in final form on and before the deadline of 15 May 2017 will be considered for the award competition and for publication as one of the "top-scoring" abstracts at MEMC-GREAT 2017.
Late breaking abstract submissions will open 22 May 2017. Late breaking submissions are accepted until 1 June 2017, but abstracts submitted for this deadline may not be notified of reviewers' decision until 1 August 2017.
Eligibility & Rules
- Abstracts must be submitted and presented in English.
- Members of AAEM, GREAT, and MAEM, as well as non-members are eligible to submit abstracts.
- All health care professionals, physicians, nurses, paramedics, students, administrators and other medical providers are all encouraged to participate.
- Submitting an abstract does not register you for MEMC-GREAT 2017. You must register for the Congress.
- The Research Forum will consider for acceptance abstracts that have been previously presented at other national, regional, and international scientific meetings.
- Abstracts can be submitted online only.
Oral Abstract Awards
The Journal of Emergency Medicine is once again sponsoring awards for the top three scoring oral abstracts. These authors will have the opportunity to present for ten minutes each during the Opening Ceremony. The Abstract Committee will determine first place, and cash prizes will be awarded to the top presenter and two runners up at the Congress.
- Top Award: $750 USD
- 2nd Finalist: $375 USD
- 3rd Finalist: $375 USD
The Global Research on Acute Conditions Team (GREAT) is sponsoring awards for the top two scoring poster awards! The Abstract Committee will determine the top two posters, and cash prizes will be awarded to first place and runner up at the Congress!
- Top Award: $500 USD
- 2nd Finalist: $250 USD
Submit your abstract today to be considered for these amazing opportunities*!
*Participants only eligible to win in only one category
To qualify for these competitions and awards, you must submit your abstract AND complete your online registration for the Congress before 15 May 2017.
- First, login with your AAEM member's only log-in. If you have not yet created an account, please create an account here.
- Then, disclose any conflict of relevant financial information.
- Click on the "Submit an Abstract” button that is the method of presentation you would like to gain access of the submission instructions and outline of the submission process.
- Paper and disk submissions will NOT be accepted. MEMC-GREAT 2017 organizers expect that all submitted abstracts will not be withdrawn. Please do not submit an abstract if you are not able to travel to the Congress and present it in the form selected.
Review Process and Scoring Criteria
Abstracts will be peer-reviewed in blinded fashion. Abstract scoring and acceptance will be based strictly on merit.
Authors will be notified if their abstract has been selected for oral or poster presentation as soon as the review is complete and no later than 1 July 2017. Further details regarding placement as an oral or poster presentation, as well as date of presentation will follow as soon as possible. If you do not receive any notification of your abstract's status, please contact: email@example.com. The Final Schedule for Presentation will be provided by early August.
- The complete abstract must not exceed 100 characters for the TITLE and 340 words / 2800 characters for the BODY.
- Type the text, including tables and figures, in single-line spacing.
- FONT: Use only Times New Roman 11. Do not use smaller or larger Font.
- TITLE: Capitalize only the first letter in each word in the title.
- AUTHORS: List author names using initials only for first and middle names.
- BLINDED: You will be asked to submit a full and a blinded version. In the blinded version please omit author names, institution, country, city, state, street addresses, and ZIP codes.
- TEXT: begin the text on a new line. The text should be arranged to the following headings: objective, design and method, results and conclusions
- Spell out words.
- Do not use abbreviations.
- The title and text cannot include advertising of any product or company.
PowerPoint™ for PC is the only acceptable presentation format for oral abstract presentations. Apple software users should save their presentation in a PowerPoint™ or pdf format. 35mm slides and overhead transparency will not be accepted. Oral presentation slides are due at the Corinthia Hotel Lisbon Speaker Ready Room 24 hours in advance of the researcher’s presentation. Flash drives or personal computers are not permitted for use in meeting spaces to broadcast presentations. Please plan accordingly.
- Administration, Health Policy, and Legislation/ Patient Flow/Throughput Management
- Airway/Analgesia/Anesthesia/Otorhinolaryngology/Sedation/Pain Management
- Cardiovascular Disorders –(Non-CPR/Non-Resuscitation)
- Cardiovascular Disorders- (CPR/Resuscitation)
- Case Reports
- Clinical Policies/Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Critical Care and Shock States
- Dermatologic Disorders
- Disaster Medicine
- Emergency Medical Services/Pre-Hospital Care
- Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Geriatric Disorders
- Hematological and Oncological Disorders
- Imaging/Imaging by Ultrasound
- Infectious Disease and Sepsis
- Informatics/Information Technology/Electronic Health Records
- Internal Medicine (General), Nephrology, Metabolic, Pulmonary and Endocrine Disorders
- International Emergency Medicine
- Medical Education (Undergraduate, Graduate, and CPD)
- Neurologic/Psychiatric Disorders
- Obstetrical/Gynecological Disorders
- Orthopedic Emergencies
- Pediatric Disorders
- Pharmacologic Matters
- Ophthalmologic Disorders
- Research Design/Research Education/Research Methodology/Bio-statistics
- Risk Management/ED and Legal Affairs
- Simulation Projects
- Social Role of Emergency Medicine/Public Health
- Substance Abuse
- Toxicology/Environmental Injury
- Wound Care