Regional Anesthesia Skills Lab
This hands-on, interactive skills lab will focus on a variety of easily performed regional nerve blocks which can be used for numerous assorted wounds and injuries involving the hands, feet and face, and even teeth. Using small group teaching, a multimedia approach and anatomic models, participants will have the opportunity to learn about, and practice these simple but highly useful blocks.
- Review the basic anatomy and innervation patterns of the hand, foot and face
- Discuss the medications used for nerve blocks
- Learn the indications and contraindications as well as complications in the performance of these nerve blocks
- Learn and "practice" common ED nerve blocks.
- Review the pitfalls to avoid when performing these blocks.
Part 1: Facial and Dental blocks
Periauricular field block
Supraorbital and supratrochlear nerve
Dental block (individual teeth)
Part 2: Hand and Wrist blocks
Part 3: Foot and ankle blocks
Posterior tibial nerve
Superficial and Deep peroneal nerve
Dr Francis Mencl. Akron, Ohio, USA; Dr Mark Frederikse. Amsterdam, the Netherlands; Dr Indrani Sheridan. Gainesvile, Florida, USA.